How to Tie The Perfect Dimple in a Tie
The average man who ties his tie without a dimple, usually doesn’t realise there’s another way to do it.
But that’s why you’re here right? You want to learn, to separate yourself from the amateurs.
A dimple adds character to the tie knot, giving it life and volume. It’s a style detail that’s going to set you apart from the rest.
A tie can make or break an outfit, so it’s important you tie your tie correctly, not like you did in high school.
Here’s my friend Mikolaj, the master of the dimple!
Start with The Four in Hand Knot:
- Wrap the tie around your neck.
- Place the wide blade on ride, narrow on left.
- Pass wide blade over narrow blade.
- Tuck it behind the narrow end and wrap it around once more.
- Take wide end bring it around through neck the loop
- Tuck wide the end through the loop that has formed at front of tie.
- Pull it down to make the knot.
- Finally, push the knot up into place.
How to tie a dimple in a four in hand knot:
- Tie a four in hand knot.
- Before pulling the wide blade through the knot, pinch the extra fabric above the knot to form the dimple.
- Gently pull it through with your other hand.
- Finish it off by pulling the knot up to your neck and adjusting it to form the look.
There you go. Enjoy your better-looking tie!
Photo Credit: Mikolaj Pawelczak from Blue Loafers. Mikolaj kindly gave me permission to use him as an example. Please go follow him over at Instagram and check out his website.